Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Weird Dreams

After two weird dreams, I had the idea of putting them on blog after waiting to have a few more. But the dumbing down of my brain cells, due to the endless travel in the fantasy world created by one tv serial or another, dried out the creative sparks from my dreams. So, I decided to put a couple of old ones with the new.

1. If Freud was right that dreams reveal hidden fears, than I guess that my laptop accident in my bathroom (don't ask) that left me with a $500 repair bill, has had a pretty deep impact. The dream goes like this:
I am crossing a road with a laptop in one hand and a cell phone in another, and I realize that the laptop is slipping out of my hand. Being the smart kid that I am, I bend and lower my hands as the laptop slips, to avoid any damage. The actual impact that the laptop suffers is just about an inch of fall and it still manages to break into two. Not only that, my cell phone also splits. Anyone else would have been upset, but not me. With a history of weird dreams, and the conviction that such damage is PHYSICALLY IMPOSSIBLE with so small an impact, I decide that I must be dreaming. I go on to reassure my worried dad that its just a dream and it will be over soon.
I did get concerned for a while when the dream didn't evaporate quickly - "Damn, it looks like it really is happening". But, my belief in laws of physics didn't betray me and everything turned out fine.

2. My cousin sister had a daughter in March '07 who in her recent pictures looks so cute with her rotund cheeks and wide eyes, that I really miss not being there to pinch her cheeks. I have been actually realizing what parents mean when they say 'bachche kitni jaldi bade ho jaate hain' (How fast do kids grow). Few days back, I had this dream where she can talk fluently and is talking non-stop, joking around, messing with everyone. I am enjoying all that and wondering - Can a 7 month old really do all that?

3. Back in my boarding school when sleep used to be a luxury and the comfort of quilts and blankets in the cool winters of Nainital was not easy to let go of, dreams were especially treasured. Normally, dreams end when you wake up and it becomes difficult to continue the dream even when you fall back asleep. But there was a period when my dreams went in parallel with reality. A dream would be in progress and I would be aware that anytime Mrs Shipley (our Warden) would come barging in the dormitory and bang the first steel almirah, and my dream would be broken.
It was a good period while it lasted.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

truly enjoyed reading this

Anonymous said...

I had this really weird dream on my period last month. Something that putting vegetables into a pot water didn't make it soup and I was in a purple basketball court and Admiral Pike (yes, from the newest Star Trek movie) was there and he challenged me to a wheelchair race.