Sunday, February 11, 2007

The good things about Christmas

I have never been very high on Christmas, except of course for the delicious Christmas cakes that papa would get from one or the other of his nurses. Christmas in India is not a big thing. Rarely do I see Christmas trees. But here in USA, Thanksgiving and Christmas are BIG. Downtown State College is decorated with illuminated trees as early as one month before Christmas. Colleges become vacant on Thanksgiving as students rush home for family gatherings. Non-resident students take up the opportunity to visit some city they haven't been to. About a month before the big day, TV channels start telecasting Christmas movies and new ones are released in theaters. The sweetness of these movies has its own charm. I might as well say that after watching several Christmas movies over the last few days I have become a big fan of the concept of forgiveness. All these create a sense of celebration, a festive mood that lasts about a month.
The talk of Christmas reminds me of Diwali in older days, when I was younger. The task of soaking diyas in water a day before, followed by drying and finally the decoration of our house was a much awaited event. Crackers and fireworks were the delights and we very much wanted to bring in a 'chhoti diwali'. Even more enjoyable was the collection of diyas the morning after. I don't really recall what we did with them and I cannot think of any possible use. It has been ages since I last enjoyed doing that. The attraction of fireworks has died as I have become more of a boring kind, even as the festivities have lost their charm in general. I hope I will get to spend the next Holi with friends though.

No comments: