Sunday, February 11, 2007

Party tonight

I don't like parties. I feel like I am expected to enjoy at a party talking to people I hardly know. I agree that's how people get to know others, and be friends with them with time. But still, I am seldom interested in small talk about other guy's research or daily schedule and would much rather prefer being lost in my own reveries most of the time. Frankly, one of the greatest mysteries for me is what do two people talk about when they meet the first time. For me conversation starts with 'which department' or 'I am Rohit' and ends with a simarly inane statement. If I talk more than that I feel like I am forcing myself. There's also this small issue of having no sense of humor when it comes to my acquaintances to most of whom I haven't warmed up yet.
But I liked this party I attended today. There was music and a dance arena, so to say. I knew just the optimum number of people - not too many that you become overwhelmed by the prospect of having to go through the routine of mundane HIs and HELLOs with people you don't give a damn about, and enough people at the same time that you can talk to and share a joke with. And yes, I wasn't great buddies with any of the people. Ironically, that's what saved that day for me. That gave me ample time to settle, and get in the mood for dance. It was fun. I was enthusiastic enough that people asked why I was acting drunk without drinking. But still, it never ever was close to the crazy head jerking of college days, with hair all sweaty and tshirt all wet. Is it the life after undergrad, or is it just me?

No comments: