Sunday, February 11, 2007

Need to be more civilized

A Professor in MP was chased and probably beaten to death by some student leaders a couple of weeks ago. That demonstrates the state most of the universities are in India. They serve mainly as the breeding ground for wannabe politicians. The education most of these univerties give is a joke. In 11th and 12th, I had a Math teacher who had a PhD from Gorakhpur University. Let me give you a picture of what sort of class his was. Class on straight lines - "Rekhhaaaa... Rekha ke chaar pati the", with eyes always on the balcony. He couldn't write 2 consecutive lines on the board without looking at RS Agarwal. Teaching for him meant, copying lines from that book. Physics teacher was better, but only slightly. I can go on and on for ever describing all the teachers in my school but that's not the point. (Besides, it can be a post in itself)
Beating up a Professor is not so uncommon is India. In fact, beating up anyone is not so uncommon. But beating up a Professor or a government official often takes the form "He deserved it". I don't know about that. Probably he did. Probably he was the greatest S** o* * B**** alive. But beating up somebody is not the way to get things right. Forgive me if you think I am being a Gandian but there are other ways to set things right. I say 'forgive me', because it has become very fashionable to belittle Gandhi, one of the greatest men ever.
What is particularly appalling is the value given to any creation. When I see buses burning, or even cracked glasses in buses, and other signs of vandalism, I feel disgusted. How can anybody destroy something that takes so much effort to build and is worth much more than the rupees invested? I don't care what their excuse is. To me, (if there is meaning to anything) human effort, or any effort, is sacred and such acts of vandalism are blasphemy. Same applies to supposedly trivial matters like destroying ant-hills for play, kids throwing stones at moving trains, and throwing garbage in the right place. Ever wondered how much effort will be saved, and how beautiful the country would be, if everybody took care of their own mess? Those who don't understand these are not fit to talk about anyone's rights, right and wrong, or any such lofty ideals.
There is an urgent need to have a look into the condition of institutes of higher eduction and our own society to correct some of extremely dangerous trends and attitudes.

No comments: