Sunday, February 11, 2007

If I were a celebrity

There are times I miss being a celebrity. Sometimes I read something and I find a statement that I feel I own, or it expresses some feeling that I have been having with for so long. Some time back, I was pestered by people into explaining why I would suddenly smile during a conversation, or sometimes when apparently nothing was funny. I couldn't explain what I was thinking. Partly because I was afraid they would think what a weirdo I am, and partly because I felt they wouldn’t see what is so funny with that. So, humor explained is humor lost, I thought, sort of. I said that to a friend and she said that she's heard it somewhere. I said it can’t be. I am the one who coined it. Later I went back and did a Google. You guessed right, if you did. I found it there. Probably, I read it somewhere and identified with it so bad that I imagined myself coining it. Or maybe I did coin it, independently. Or maybe the words were just floating around in the subconscious of my mind, then just at the tip of my tongue, when I read it somewhere. If I were a celebrity, say a writer or something, and somebody paid any attention to me, and wondered aloud why I might be laughing at something, I'd say - Humor explained is humor lost, you see. And that would be quoted somewhere, probably in 'A Word A Day'.
I'll list a couple of others that I think somebody stole from my mind, He he he.

I could be wrong now, but I don't think so. - From Monk, a comedy serial on TV.

If the world were merely seductive, that would be easy. It it were merely challenging, that would be no problem. But I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day. -E.B. White, writer (1899-1985)

And yes, my elder brother used to say 'aisa hi hoon main (I am as I am)', long before Ajay Devgan made it famous with Pyar to hona hi tha.

No comments: