Sunday, February 11, 2007

Wisdom

It is a wonder how something you have heard so many times that it became almost a cliche, can still come as an epiphany. Being a big time critic of junk cinema and illogical sob stories, I often tend to wonder why this kind of cinema gets made. Of course, I have been told how good a medium it is to turn black money into white. But it somehow never satisfies me. Perhaps because even though it would explain the production of junk cinema (movies of the kind Neha Dhupia stars in) it would not explain the creation of melodramatic sob stories (which actually make money). Then one day, it came to me as an epiphany - there is a market for it and so there is the product. There is no other reason, no other justification. Because people like preachiness and stupidity, not to mention skimpily clad lead actresses being prudish about even more skimpily dressed actresses, Mohabbatein gets made. There is nothing really wrong with it, I guess. If I don't like it, I can avoid it.
It is not that the rationale is anything insightful, or even original. On the contrary, it is quite obvious and quotidian. But still, it was a moment of wisdom for me. Isn't it what they say, 'to be smart is to see reason, to be wise is to accept reality'?

PS: I am not sure whether that is a saying, but I guess somebody in some part of the world must have said/written it or something like it, and probably I have heard that. I wanted to be a little bit extra cautious particularly after some anonymous fella commented 'saale chor' on one of my blogs!

No comments: